Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Joys of Toddlerdom



Looking at such a sweet little face you could never imagine the phase of toddlerhood we’re going through.

Ah, yes. Nora has taken to screaming when she doesn’t get what she wants. And, for the first time, this past weekend she actually cried over not getting a toy she wanted. Actually, it was the first three times all in one weekend.

We have tried to explain to Nora that she can’t have everything she sees that she wants. Of course, we always get the dreaded, “Why??”. After repeating this same statement over and over and over and over this weekend, Nora finally said, “but Mom, I want EVERYTHING!” If you have forgotten, please see my Note to Santa post that will show this repeat of history.

On a side note, Nora is about 90% potty trained. She only wears pull-ups at night and when we are going out for a long period of time. For those members of my family reading this, I believe she has a little spirit of Granny Dietz in her. She absolutely refuses to use any public restroom. Period. It has gone as far as us going into a bathroom, putting a pull-up on her, her doing her business and then putting her underwear back on. Tell me how messed up that is??? Like I said, a little spirit of Granny is in there.

Also this past weekend, we attended the birthday party of Titus, my best friend, Elizabeth’s, son. Titus turned the big 1. This was a great event because Nora and Avery, Titus’s older sister, are “best friends”. They had the cutest little conversation about poop while they were eating. It was soooo funny. We were sitting at a table with Matt’s dad (Titus’s Popsy) and Matt’s Granny (Titus’s Great-Granny). Keith and I found it all quite humorous and, of course, were encouraging their little chat. However, Avery and Nora were informed by Granny that potty talk was not appropriate at the dinner table. Too funny. After they ate, Nora and Avery were off. Those two ran so much that they were OUT-OF-BREATH. Can you imagine?? Two 3 year olds breathless. That’s how much they ran.

I know there have been so many funny things that Nora has said lately, but I’m old and can’t remember them. I need to start posting as she says things to keep up with it all. Here is one such tale that I can remember:

Last night, Nora pulled one of her I have-to-go-the-bathroom-instead-of-going-to-sleep routines. After she was through, Keith decided to go, too, since he was up. Anyway, from the bathroom he is telling Nora that she better be going to sleep when comes in the room, blah, blah, blah. So, I, being the sarcasm lover that I am, said, “Alright dad, but either pee or get off the pot.” Ha. Ha. And, Nora, being the mocking bird she is replied, “Yeah, dad. Either pee or get off the pot. That’s your options.”

Where has she heard that before, you might ask. Oh, about 5 minutes before she went to the bathroom, I told her she needed to get on her pillow or get in her own bed. Those were her options.

The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

No comments: